November 24th 2013 the repeater group applied for a N.o.v. to operate a Digital Mobile Radio repeater.  DMR is a true digital mode, providing internet linking,  very narrow bandwidth and two situations QSO on a single channel. On top of this,  this new mode also allows features such as checking a person has their radio switched on and tuned to the same timeslot you are using, send them a simple text message or request a private QSO with them, although the latter is frown on as not being in the spirit of repeaters,  or amateur radio.

On the 20th January 2014 we were issued a NOV by Ofcom  for GB7BS,  we were not expecting such a fast turn around as normally delays are in excess of 7 months. 

Also in January we took delivery of some radio samples from BFDX in china,  these radios are DMR hand portables,  the TD501.  The radios are brilliant for the money, BUT lack CTCSS which make them useless for Ham Radio use. BFDX then sent us some samples of the BFDX TD503 (we had serial 003 and 004 !!) These looked better, and had the CTCSS, and a nice colour display.  BUT again were no good as they had several issues with firmware, something BFDX were not willing to talk to us to find a fix, even after we sent them a full technical breakdown of the faults.  It was decided not to continue working with BFDX as we were not getting anywhere with customer services.

On the 20th April (after a lot of research and conversation between Mark and I) we had a brand new shiney DR3000 repeater in our hands, funded by Mark and I and not the Repeater Group as funds would not allow it. We selected the Motorola DR3000 over the Hytera repeater, not on Technical engineering, but simply on compatablity grounds.